Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Vincent Van Gogh

Hello.

Another angle of our Home Gallery:



Tanya, the baker of great bread and my papier mache mask of Vincent Van.

When I made this mask back when we were living in Redding (very hot, dry climate--good for curing  papier mache...) I felt I had made a break-through with the medium. It seemed more plastic in my hands and I was able to mold it far better than I ever had before and I was beginning to see how leaving areas of newsprint and so forth visible, that is, unpainted, could make a more interesting artistic statement.

I have always liked poor Vincent and have appreciated his struggle to be an artist. He is definitely one of the first on my list of modern-day artists, so I was happy that this portrait mask seemed a creative break-through for me.


...

No comments:

Post a Comment