Friday, March 8, 2013

Juan Miro

Yesterday I mentioned the famous Spanish artist Juan Miro (1893-1983) as an example of an artist who repeated himself over and over with great success.

No small part of his success, I believe, was his good fortune to be a young artist in Paris during the time of tremendous artistic ferment between the world wars.

Ernest Hemingway, who already had a huge international reputation and who loved Spain, bought one of his early paintings and called him the artist which most typified the spirit of Spain.

Art critic Eve Bosch called Miro "A genius. One of the great painters of the 20th century." and he certainly left his mark on the world of western art though he himself declared he was out to destroy (classical) painting.

He certainly was driven and compulsive in his odd style and limited number of images--as I mentioned in connection with my Special Ed student's work in yesterday's blog.

I am happy to add his portrait (below) to my own drawings of the great artists of my time.



Juan Miro. (c.1938)


...

No comments:

Post a Comment