Monday, March 25, 2013

Uncle Remus

Hello.

Another rainy afternoon here in Eureka, CA.

Since.  it was sunny this morning I took the opportunity to work on some papier mache projects

It will take them a little longer to dry for the next step, but as Paul Klee is supposed to have said: "Nothing about art is quick."




Above is my colored pencil sketch of Mr. Baskett as Uncle Remus, the star of the Walt Disney film "Song of the South" which I probably first enjoyed as a teen-ager in one of those long gone but not quite forgotten "passion pits",  a drive-in movie theater in Albuquerque.

The film is memorable as a historic piece and you may now see it on U Tube which may or may not be as much fun as going to the drive-in.

I have mounted this sketch in a papier mache frame with a shelf for displaying three of the characters from the original Uncle Remus stories which mom read to us little kids before TV or Walt Disney feature movies. I am making these figures from salt dough--a cheap and very good art medium.

So far I have made Brer Rabbit and the famous "Tar Baby" and will soon make Brer Rabbit's nemesis, Brer Fox.

Here are the unfinished  Rabbit and the Tar Baby (with the rest of my creative workshop junk):





The crafty fox will appear soon, I hope, and I will show you the complete Remus set.


...



No comments:

Post a Comment