Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Special Ed Aide

I have been working most recently as a substitute teacher's aide in Special  Education classes--mostly in public school classrooms for kids in the elementary grades.

It has been good work for me. I feel helpful and feel like I am doing something which I can do which needs to be done--and, of course, it is a paying job which is also handy.

I like working with kids, especially in these classrooms, where there is a responsible professional teacher in charge and usually other adult help for discipline and care,

I have been able to help a little bit in their art projects which is the area of "education" I am most interested in at this time--though most of my work day is spent in other odd duties as needed.

Some of the kids are pretty well coordinated and are able to draw and color a bit and enjoy a variety of craft projects but many are not able to do very much or really understand very well the purpose of their artistic activities.

Here is an example of one of my fifteen-year old student's work:





And here is my sketch of the same student with his adult aide:


As you see--this student is not very coordinated with his use of crayons, but he does like the one-on-one help from his adult aide and seems quite pleased with his artistic creation.


...

No comments:

Post a Comment