Thursday, February 11, 2010

Old Teachers


As you know, we have two neighborhood home-school kids who meet with our workshop group twice a week at the care center across the street.

As their tutor, I ask myself: What do these children need to know?

Maybe a better question is: What does THIS child need to know? Because to me every child is different--and every individual needs to know different things.

Lucky--we don't have a classroom here loaded with 35 kids all the same age but all with different needs!

Two kids is almost perfect--one teacher for two children--brother and sister a year or so apart in age!

The old people are also there--but just there. Their day is almost done. They watch the kids with more or less interest--some may try to communicate a little--but mostly they are just there in their wheelchairs.

Maybe THAT is the lesson they are teaching--and it may be a powerful teaching--a lesson stronger than I could ever teach in words or diagrams. They teach by their presence.

Old people darshan, maybe?


...

2 comments:

  1. With the absence of my parents, I've always looked to my teachers and elders for guidance. Anyone, really with the willingness to show me something new. I appreciate your understanding of children and their individuality. I think those two kids have a wonderful opportunity to work with you, I'm sure they'll know it in time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your nice comment, Angela. TW

    ReplyDelete